Wednesday, August 3, 2011

REDDLIPSTICK CONTEST WINNER: BRENDANE TYNES


Meet Brendane Tynes; one of the two winners of The Reddlipstick Contest! Check out her winning entry, and her moving story; plus little known facts about her!






Sanctuary

With every hymn my fingers
tap the chair where you used to sit.

God has restored me,
squeezed my shards of a heart
together and made them into something
that forgave. With His mighty hands

He took his creation and called it His.
I guess it’s His fault that I miss you.
The carpet in the sanctuary
is still red with the blood
that you spilled first Sunday.

The air rings with the sound
you made when you attempted to sing.
While God appreciated the sound
of your praise, I turned my head
and laughed at the cacophonous
sound. You didn’t stop singing.

God saw everything

including the time you grabbed my hand
during benediction, and we sighed our regrets
in tune to the praise and worship music.
When you stained my cheek with your red lipstick,

He was still there.



What was the message behind your poem?
In my poem, I was speaking from the voice of a guy I dated before my current boyfriend. I wrote the poem in memory of him. I met him in church, so that is where all of the church images come from. My poem just tells the story of moments of that I imagined having with him, yet I told these moments through his eyes. The color red is really prominent in the poem, so the red lipstick was a great image. Plus, it looks good on almost everyone.

Do you wear makeup? If so, what’s your favorite kind?
I wear makeup occasionally. When I do wear it, I only wear lipstick/lipgloss and eyeshadow/eyeliner. I have makeup from Victoria’s Secret, but I don’t get it from anywhere special. I wear red lipstick on nights out with the girls, but not a bright red. I’m too brown for bright reds.

What is your MUST HAVE accessory?
My purse! If not, my lip balm. I can’t stand chapped lips.

What’s one thing a lot of people don’t know about you but you don’t mind sharing?
When I was in the 8th grade, my family and I were homeless. It was a hard time for us, but that was the time that I began developing a real relationship with God. He’s the reason that I am who I am today.

What was your biggest accomplishment up to date?
Definitely getting into Duke University. I give God all the glory for that.

What is your talent?
I write, sing, and dance. I am also very talented at eating chicken wings.

What do you want to do career wise?
I want to become a pediatrician, and possibly work with kids in South America.

What is the thing you are most worried about starting college?
Well, every adult I meet keeps telling me not to go off to college and get pregnant. That’s not my biggest worry though. I think I am most worried about my classes! I know that any class I take will be hard, and I was such a bad slacker in high school. I’m worried about my study habits to put it shortly.

Since you like to write, do you think you will start your own blog one day?
I would love to write a blog, but I have no idea about what I would write.

How do you describe your personality?
I have a fun personality. I’m not the most beautiful girl out there, so I think my personality makes up for it. I love to laugh, sing, and have fun (in clean ways).  I’m also really easygoing.

The Reddlipstick Blog is a blog based on bold feminity. How do you embrace that?
I believe that as a woman, I have the ability to do whatever I want. God gave women the ability to give birth. He also gave us a resilient, awe-inspiring strength.  Men may think they have the power. Whenever I encounter a man who believes that, I ask him this: “Who gave birth to you?”

Brendane's interview was unexpectedly MOVING. Check out the 2nd winner of The Reddlipstick Contest 's entry and interview soon! 
XOXO