Monday, August 15, 2011

Natural Hair Campaign!

The Reddlipstick Blogger is inspired by African-American women embracing their natural hair! We've received pictures, stories, and hair care tips from women going through the natural hair transformation that you all can share! Read&Indulge (and watch) for the ideas sent in to The Reddlipstick Natural Hair Campaign! PLUS my embarrassing photo journey of ME when I was natural ages 0-13! LOL 




NO I am not natural now, but I didn't get my 1st relaxer until I was 13 years old! I dug out some old pictures of me when I WAS natural (brace yourself!)

Aww how cute! I was natural since BIRTH! lol 


I had braids... 


even twists! lol 




The infamous "afro puffs" lol 


BAM! A psychedelic Angel! lol! Wow look at all that hair!

Hot Combs.. (remember how that grease used to burn your neck!?)

the LAST picture taken before I got my first relaxer...

anddd it didn't take! haha


My hair today! yayy! 

Enough about ME, LET'S GET SOME TIPS:

Kelley Roseboro


Tips: "I Use Miss Jessie's Curly Buttercream. I also use Taliah Wajid Curl Sealer. Shampoo dries out the natural hair, therefore it's best to only shampoo once a week, or every other week. Co-washing (washing with conditioner) is preferred because shampoo dries hair out terribly."

Nia Harris

My Natural Hair Story: 

Okay ... I have been transitioning from relaxed to natural for 8 months now and it has been a process. I currently use weaves as a protective style for my hair due to the fact that i do not know how to manage my hair's two textures ( by two textures i mean my natural hair at the roots and my relaxed hair at my ends). The reason why I decided to go natural: I have been receiving relaxers since I was 7 years old. Straight hair looks best on me, or so I thought. My mom has been natural for most of my life so that was nothing new to me. I was introduced to the thought of going natural when my hair started popping out on the edges in the beginning of 2010. I didn't know why, but my hair was rebelling against me. The texture had changed, it had became rough and "fried-like." Then, I got a relaxer (my last relaxer) December 2010 and my hair DID NOT take to it well. It was like I did not even get a relaxer. That is when I decided to do something a little different, so , my New Years revolution was to transition to natural. Now, at first it was cool because I would just keep getting my new growth straightened... No big deal. Then my natural hair started growing longer and longer until my hair became unmanageable for me. The last time I got my hair straightened was like in March and that was because this hair stylist I went to burn the CRAP out of my scalp with a hot comb. So i decided to give straightening my hair a break. That's when I started wearing weaves/half wigs as an easy way of dealing with my hair. I have a great deal of natural hair now and I am considering just doing the big chop because it will be easier. But who knows? I guess we will have to see where this natural hair journey takes me :).
My Tips:
Going natural is NOT for everyone. It is not easy working with your natural hair, especially if you (like myself) do not know what your natural hair texture is, due to the fact that you have been receiving relaxers most of your life. If you do decide to go natural, do it for you, not because everybody Else is doing it.
Do your RESEARCHYouTube it! I stay on YouTube looking at hair tutorials! Look up what products are good for your natural hair. Organic products are the best products to use on your hair, but they are hard to find. If you can not locate organic hair products, then try to find products that DO NOT contain alcohol, sulfate, glycerin, etc. These ingredients are BAD for your hair, they strip your hair of its natural oils and dry it out. This goes for relaxed girls also. Kinky/Curly hair can be thick and dry and we want to preserve as much of our natural oils as we can.
Cutting your hair is not the only way to go natural. You can gradually stop getting relaxers! As long as you take care of your hair and have patience, transitioning may be the outlet your looking for! Notes on Transitioning: At first (for some people), the "new growth" growing from your scalp in thebeginning stages of transitioning is not your real hair texture. It is hair that has been damaged by the chemicals from relaxers. Yes relaxers can damage your hair follicles ! It took about 6 months for this damage hair to stop growing and then my real natural soft texture started growing. That's why I emphasize that going natural is a PROCESS ! But its worth it, especially if you want to achieve thicker, healthier hair. :)


 Remember Natural Hair is Beautiful :)


Vashayla Butler:



Emon Davis 
"These's are just pics of my hair when I tried to wear it curly.  I tamed the curls with some olive oil gel & some curl moisturizer. NO CHEMICALS. NO JERRY CURL STUFF. NO TEXTURIZER.  I don't really like the whole curly thing but I've been natural all my life. I've never gotten a relaxer so I always get my hair pressed with the hot comb."




Te'Che' Busby:



Kristen Bell:
Cantu Shea Butter Line - cream shampoo, moisturizing rinse out conditioner, grow strong strengthening treatment, leave in conditioning repair cream, conditioning oil sheen spray, no drip hair and scalp oil, daily moisturizer, hair dressing pomade
*That line is for natural and relaxed hair (I use it the most)

Twisted Sista - De-Frizz Shampoo, De-Frizz Conditioner, 30 second curl spray
*I just started trying this line. I like it. Especially the smell. Lol.

Roots of Nature Remedies - mango oil and cupuacu butter curl reviving spray, feather whipped curl cream
*This really defines my natural curls and keeps my hair soft. Sometimes leaves my hair dry though.

Design Essentials Natural Line - shampoo, conditioner, daily moisturizer, stretching cream (great for twisting hair)
*First line of products I used. Like it. Smells great.

Kinky Curly - Come Clean, Knot Today, Curling Custard, pomade
*WONDERFUL for when my hair was short. Truly defined curls. Left hair a little hard when dry.

Phytospecific Moisturizing Styling Cream
*Most expensive. Line has an interesting back story from what the lady at Sephora told me. Worth looking into. Seals moisture and has a nice light feel.

Oils and natural product: Shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, tea tree oil, honey (mixed with olive oil is a great deep conditioner)

As you can see, I love trying out different products and I always look for the next new thing to try.










Missy Mistique:
























Dana Harrell

















TIP: "Organix Shampoo Instant Repair Cocoa Butter. They have conditioner too!"



















YouTube.com/Naturallyd0lly

















Amber Vinson


in my house perms where never a choice. my mother didnt get a perm til she was 19 and me and my sisters were not going to get perms until then. but that all changd when my step mother permed my hair in the 6th grade =( & i have been getting perms ever since. i didnt get a lot of perms maybe once every 2-3 months. last year (march 2010)i decide to go natural. i stop getting perms and kept my hair braided for the first months. then i started trying new styles. bantu knots really helped me transition. they hardest part about transitioning was dealing with two textures. in febuary 2011 i finally could not handle it anymore and i cut my hair (my self) !. i couldnt believe it! i have been natural since. sometimes i miss my straight hair so i do get blowout. not often though just because i dont want to mess up my curl pattern. i dont think i will ever get perms again. my hair is thicker and healthier than it has ever been. i could not ask for better hair.

tips: i have tried EVERY natural hair product! the best ones to me is mixed silk by silk elements & shea moisture.  silk elements shampoo doesnt dry your hair out like most shampoos. the conditioning masque  makes your hair soft and tangled free. they also have a leave in condtioner that i used at night to keep my hair from drying out. i use shea moisture curling pudding and hair milk daily to keep my curls moist & healthy. ( it is important to keep your curls moist!) you dont want them to dry out or break off. && PLEASE never use a small comb to detangle your hair! it does more damage than help!! DONT  let the hype of carols daughter fool you! its NOT worth the money! i spent 70 dollars on something i dont even use.
natural thoughts: being natural is not a fashion fade its a way of life. this is truly a wonderful journey. my natural journey thought me alot about myself & how should imbrace my beautiful natural hair  & love my curls. anyone can get a perm but only a few can actually go natural .









Ayat Soluiman 












BEST WEBSITE FOR NATURAL WOMEN: www.afrobella.com -- complete with advice, giveaways, product reviews and more! Click here to visit!

CONTINUE TO SEND THINGS IN LADIES! I'm taking entries all day!

LEAVE COMMENTS AND MORE SUGGESTIONS HERE!

XOXO!

1 comment:

India A. Hill said...

leave your comment ladies!