Sunday, July 10, 2011

Aubrey Jay

Aubrey Jackson, better known to her fans as Aubrey Jay, is an aspiring Pop Singer, to say the VERY least. From her club banger "Love the DJ" to her naughty girl anthem "Bad", Aubrey jay is diverse in her music. She's also a motivator for young girls, with her non-profit organization, Aubrey's Angels, a songwriter, and a college student. Her professional yet approachable personality is what draws her fan-base in, besides her vocal ability, of course. What personally draws me in to Aubrey Jay the most is her drive, and her determination to make it exactly where she wants to go. Her passion for her craft is so evident, that I have no doubts that she will make it where she wants to go. 



How old were you when you realized you wanted to sing?
I realized I could sing, when I was about 15 I participated in my first talent show then, and sung a Disney Classic, and was nervous as all get out, and soon as I sung my last note I got a standing ovation. It shocked my family in the crowd, and myself. It was at that moment that I knew I had something "special going on" 


What was your biggest performance?
 My two biggest performances to date are when I was 17 I got the chance to open for the Univer-Soul Circus when it traveled to my hometown in South Carolina. It was packed with people, I mean wall to wall. I thought I wouldn't have been able to do it, but I saw my family in the front row and just did my thing! It was an awesome show. My second biggest show was when I opened for the 107.3 Jamz Family Reunion this event alone had up to 30,000 people and luckily I got to perform, Ginuwine and Tank were there too. It was a great experience. 


Do you consider yourself outgoing or bashful? Do you ever get nervous?
I'm Human, so getting "the jitters" before a show is something I will always go through, but over time I have learned to channel the "Nerves" into "Positive Anxiousness" so that instead of fearing the moment I almost anticipate the show, the crowd, and everything in between. 

What’s something you think you could improve on as a performer?
It is a lot that goes into planning a show, and as a perfectionist and performer I tend to over stress things. But I am working on letting go. 

What do you think was your biggest accomplishment so far?

I was nominated for best Female Artist in South Carolina, with the South Carolina Music Awards in 2009. I remember going to the awards just to get the experience and to network, and when the time came to announce the winner for the award, my name was called. It was such a huge accomplishment and truly made me believe that all the people who voted for me do support my music, my style, and me as an artist. I'll never forget that award! 

You write your own songs. What’s your favorite?
Yes, I write all my music, always have and always will. It is the best way to express yourself and show your skills. I love when people ask me my favorite song because I always say I don't have one, picking my favorite song would be like picking your favorite child. You just cant do it, you love them all! 

What message do you have for other females out there? Young and old?
I have a non profit called "Aubrey Jay's Angels" where I go to various girl homes in the Upstate and donate school supplies, christmas gifts, etc. I do my best to call girls on their birthdays as well. It is still in the beginning stages, I should have a website up for my Organization soon. My platform as a musician is to put out powerful and positive music, I want to be "clean" and "relatable".. I want to make being a good girl look "cool" 

You performed at the Julliard School of Music! What was that like?
 It was awesome! It was my first time in New York and I just loved the city, loved the opportunity. It is still one of those moments I can close my eyes and see perfectly! 

You are an aspiring singer as well as a college student. Do you think having a degree is important to being a performer?
When people ask me about being in College and pursuing music I say I give both areas equal amount of attention, I knew I wanted to go to school because I just felt having a degree was valuable as an individual and entrepreneur and necessary for my future goals. I can write music so that I get closer to my dream, and I go to class so that I achieve my degree. It can be difficult at times, but I am doing just fine. 

How are your family and friends supportive of your dreams?
My mother is very supportive, I remember one guy said "You and your mom remind me of Brandy and her mother" and when he said that I didn't understand, and then it hit me. Brandy was so successful because her mom was always by her side, and had Brandy's best interest at heart; and that is the same way my mom is with me. She and I are a team, and my family are always at my shows. I know when my time comes I have to thank my amazing mother, supportive family and close friends!


One of Aubrey Jay's Remixes!



More on Aubrey Jay: 
www.aubreyjay.com- The Official Aubrey Jay site, featuring more music!
Follow Aubrey Jay on Twitter!-@aubreyjay4
Subscribe to- youtube.com/aubreyjay4

XOXO, this link!

No comments: