Monday, May 6, 2013

Interview: Miss SC USA 2013: Megan Pinckney


By: India Hill


Miss SC USA 2013 is Megan Pinckney, a Senior at the University of South Carolina with a passion for fashion and inspiring young girls everywhere. Read&Indulge as this Charleston, SC native talks about her platform "Karacter Begins with K," what she does when the crown's not on, her take on being a women of color in the pageant industry, and so much more.




I: What is the inspiration behind your platform “Karacter Begins with K?”
M: My mother has always worked in the school system in Charleston so I have always been apart of her programs and seen what she has done for the community! I know the character building skills that she instilled in me and I felt like they made me who I am, so I wanted to make a program that could help instill these same skills in children. 

I: On stage, it looks like you always have it together. Do you or have you ever gotten nervous in a pageant?
M: I always get nervous, ALWAYS! But I am use to being on the stage, I grew up dancing!! I just use that nervous energy and channel it into positive adrenaline to get me going!

I: Where did your interest in competing with beauty pageants come from?
M: I remember growing up watching the national pageants on TV and wanted so badly to be apart of it. I think every girl did!! In high school I was approached to compete in a local USA pageant and from then on I was hooked!

I: When your crown’s not on, what do you do to relax? And to have fun?
M: I love spending time with family and friends, reading fashion magazines, traveling, and eating great food!

I: What is the most rewarding thing about being Miss SC USA 2013?
M: I don’t consider myself a pageant girl, so to me the most rewarding thing about
being Miss SC USA is feeling like I really can do anything that I set my mind to and inspiring people to do the same!


I:What are you most excited about competing for the title of Miss USA 2013? [Which airs June 16, 2013!]
M:Living a dream that I have wanted since I was a child! Knowing that I will be on that stage competing just as I had always seen means so much to me.

I: How do you usually prepare for pageants?
M: Lots of exercise, eating right, mentally preparing myself, and staying calm!

I:You are a Senior at the University of South Carolina. What do you plan to do after you graduate?
M:I plan on spending a little time in New York City perusing a career in the fashion industry.

I:You were born and raised here in the south. What are some things about the South/South Carolina that you love?
M:The hospitality, the weather, the easy going feeling I get, the chivalry, the traditions, the food, and how family oriented everyone is.

I: You studied abroad in Italy. How exciting was that?
M: It was one of the most exhilarating experiences in my life. I’m so happy I had the opportunity to go. I learned so much and would go back tomorrow if I could.

I: You are a Fashion Merchandising Major. Do you feel like being fashionable is a huge part of being a Queen? From the Pageant Dresses, to the suits for appearances?
M: I could see how it would be a huge part of pageantry, but I’m so in to it that I may only feel that way because its something that I love. I don’t think you have to be fashionable of even very interested in fashion to be successful in pageants. No clothing will ever win a pageant, a person does.

I: How about a love interest? Are you in a relationship?
M:Nope, single. I’m way to busy to even think about another person right now!

I:The Reddlipstick Blog is a blog based on Bold Femininity. As a reigning Queen, how do you show off your femininity?
M:I think personally I do in my style. I think fashion is a great way to express yourself and that’s how I choose to do so.

I: As a woman of color, do you feel any challenges in the pageant world?
M:Women of color are definitely the minority in the pageant industry but I think it is what you make it. But I enjoy being “that girl” right now because I hope that it inspires other girls to do it as well!


Megan, I wish you the best in all your endeavors and a special good luck in the Miss USA 2013 Pageant, which airs June 16, 2013! The Reddlipstick Readers and I will be tuning in and rooting for you! (For the readers that didn't know, South Carolina is my home-state!)
XOXO!

No comments: