Thursday, July 29, 2010

MY ORIGINAL POEM ABOUT COLOR BARRIERS

my race maybe black
my skin may be gold
thats the way it is
or so i was told
and continue to be told
frequently
skin color oppression continues to
seep in me
daily. monthly. weekly
so what if i'm not
your rich brown complexion
so what if i am
the racial exception
my troubles run just as deep
and just as far back
to where we were sisters
walking the same journey
fighting the same battles
what happened to that?
the beauty of our skin is equal
just in two different ways
beautifully connected
like night and day
don't tell me how the media degrades you
and how i don't love you
for your skin
don't tell me how they stop at your chocolate beauty
and fail to see within
but most of all DON'T HATE ME
for what THEY'VE done to you
DON'T HATE ME and disown me of my race
calling me near white
because God made me light
because my skin is gold
because truth be told
black is still my race
the race we fail to win
because we are divided by pettiness
the color of our skin!
XOXO,
"
Reddlipstick

No comments: