Monday, September 3, 2012

Voting 101 With Bakari Sellers

With the Democratic National Convention being held in Charlotte, NC this week and the Presidential Election being right around the corner, I felt like it was important to not only keep my readers entertained, but INFORMED about the importance of voting!
I talked with Morehouse Graduate, House of  Representative Member AND First Vice Chairman of the SC Democratic Political Party, 27-year-old Bakari Sellers. Read&Indulge as he talks about the importance of being informed, voting, and his personal opinions about the race.


I: A lot of the people voting this time around are first-time voters, some just turning 18, and some are just getting registered. Why do you think it’s so important young adults ages 18-22 to vote?
B: 2008 was just the beginning. We need to make sure that it’s more for the good of country, something as simple as Pell Grants. We need to make sure that we are very vocal..because every vote really does matter, that’s not rhetoric at all, that’s the truth. We need to make sure that we are part of the process. If we aren’t apart of the process, our voice won’t be heard on Election Day.

I: That brings me to my next question; a lot of people choose not to vote because they feel as if their vote doesn't count. What do you think about that?


B: That’s just pure ignorance, and ignorance is bliss. Too many people in Orangeburg, right here in South Carolina, died and almost died so we can have that right. That right is not something we can take for granted. You know, if you win a Precinct, you may win a city. If you’re able to win a city, you may win a county. And if you win a couple of counties, than you may win a State. That’s how Politics works. Every vote does count.

I: I definitely agree. What do you think would be a good plan to get that age group [18-22] to vote?
B: Well, we gotta lot of people, when I say we, I mean the campaign..people, and singers that the 18-22 age group listens to. Anthony Hamilton. J Cole talks about it a lot. Raegan Gomez, Keri Washington, Wil.I.Am, there are many people, Tatiana Ali, who speak to our age group that understand the importance of voting. If they don’t listen to me or if they don’t listen to the President, maybe they’ll listen to Trey Songz, who’s been adamant about the participation of voting. I look forward to us waking up, and coming out.

I: How do you feel about the Republican National Convention?
B: It was good I mean, I thought Ann Romney’s speech was good. I thought that Paul Ryan’s speech, for what it was worth, was delivered well. Mitt Romney gave a very aggressive speech. I thought it went well. However, I don’t think it’s going to compare to the DNC this week. There’s something about Americans hearing you talk, and Americans hearing your story. When you hear Michelle Obama, or Eva Longoria speaking on Thursday, or the President Thursday night, you’ll see the difference.

I: What’s something important that you think first time voters need to know about the voting process?
B: You need to make sure all of your paperwork is correct, you need to make sure you are registered. You need to make sure you know where you’re voting. You need to know where your polling place is. Those are the simple things. The larger picture is understanding that there was a huge fight, so that on this one day, you can cast that one vote. Understanding that you’re part of a Democracy of the greatest country in the world, makes you feel a little bit better about participating in the process.

I: You’re a part of the Obama ’12 campaign. How do you feel about Obama in this upcoming election? And Mitt Romney?
B: I think Mitt Romney is a good person, a great father, a very religious person. I think he’s a horrible candidate. He doesn’t stand for anything. His campaign is just poorly run. I do think that it will be closer than it was in 2008. It will be pretty close. I think the president will be successful. It boils down to about 11 states. And I think we are in pretty good shape in those 11. We just need to keep pressing the pavement. Keep going out there and you know, doing what we need to do. North Carolina’s very close, Florida’s close, Colorado, Virginia, Ohio. They're all close. New Hampshire. I think we have a pretty good chance of picking those states up.

I: What advice do you have for voters in general? Old voters, new voters, first time voters..
B: Be involved in the process, and know who you’re representative is. The leadership that we have can not only affect your today, but your tomorrow. And a lot of people don’t even know what’s going on. We have something that is very powerful. And that is your right to vote.

No comments: