Monday, May 21, 2012

REDD REVIEWS: THE 2012 BILLBOARD AWARDS

**This review is not polished in the slightest. Just a random collection of my thoughts during the awards show.**

Last night, 5 mins before The 2012 Billboard Awards premiered, I was in the bed. Not really wanting to watch the awards, I remind myself that it was my journalistic duty, and like most award shows, I was going get into it, and glad I watched them.

I was sadly mistaken.

The Billboard Awards was like 3 hours of glitz, glamour, and a whole bunch of other things that made it seem like it was wayy longer than it should be. But what was the problem?



The opening was good enough, LMFAO opened with the Party Rock Anthem, a song that everybody can get happy about, so I saw it as a sign of good perfomances to come. ehhh....

The hosts were from the TV show Modern Family. An interesting choice for comic relief, some of the jokes were laughable and others went straight over my head, but maybe it was just me.

Katy Perry was awarded with the Spotlight Award for having 5 #1 hit singles on Teenage Dream, a record that she ties with Michael Jackson for having. Which is cool, I like Katy Perry, her music, and her new purple hair. And her 90 something year old grandmother that she brought as a guest to the awards was cool as well.

Kelly Clarkson performed, and I wasn't a fan. I mean I do like Kelly Clarkson but her voice was airy or something. I'm not sure what it was that rubbed me the wrong way.

Then some boy band that I'm still trying to figure out the name of came and performed. I spent most of the perforamance confused as to what was going on. [After researching I found out that this band's name is The Wanted]

Wiz Khalifa won the Top New Artist award, which is funny because even though I like Wiz he's not exactly "new", just newly mainstream. His fiancee Amber Rose was in the audience looking like a proud one, and glitter-kissed at that.

Chris Brown performed soon after. I can watch Chris Brown dance for hours, so no complaints here. Unless you want to talk about the obvious lip-synching, but I'd take that over breathless singing anyday.

No, wait. I did have a complaint. The "techno" music thing. And because Usher did it I'm just gonna go ahead and lump it all together. Tecnho music is cool and all, but that's not what I want to see from my favorite R&B artistsLeave it to GaGa. Usher upset me with that too. Chris Brown is younger so you know, "Turn Up The Music," could be a sign of experiementing he may be doing on his new album, "Fortune", but Usher? Man, I don't know. But moving on.

Natasha Bedingfield did a nice tribute to the Late Donna Summer, a piece of satisfcation in the Billboard Awards. Oh, until they cut it off with a commerical break -_-.

Taylor Swift was then awarded as Woman of The Year.

After the Usher performace and LMFAO was awarded with The Hot 100 Song of the Year, Justin Beiber performance his new Justin Timberlake-ish single "Boyfriend," which I loved.

On the flipside of American Idols, Carrie Underwood seriously rocked the house. I mean I really felt that. So far, her performance was the best on the show. Linkin Park performed shortly after.

I was starting to think the award show would let up when a young, up and coming single named Carly Rae Jepsen sung a nice, cute, bubbly song called "Call Me Maybe,". Just when I thought the show was finally getting on my good side-- I realized they let this girl sing her whole song but cut off the Donna Summers tribute, and got mad all over again.

Katy Perry did an acrobatic routine during her performance, but all I could think of was.. didn't Pink do this a few years ago at the Grammy's?

The show caught my interest again when Jordin Sparks (American Idol #3 on the awards) and John Legend did a tribute to Whitney Houston. Although Jordin CAN sing, picking her to sing "I Will Always Love You," was interesting. I don't think her voice was soulful enough. But, she did hit all the right voice. John Legend did great as well, adding the soul flair.

Bobbi Kristina got up to speak on her mother's behalf and it was completely moving.

Cee-Lo Green and the rest of the members of the group Goodie Mob (if you didn't know, where Cee-Lo started) performed and that was great. There was also a dancer featured that only had one leg, and he really did his thing. That was pretty amazing if you ask me.

After this though, I really couldn't take anymore of the awards because it was getting to be too long. So that Rock Band that performed was a blur, and Nelly Furtado's performance was not needed in the slightest.

I watched Alicia Keys and Stevie Wonder though. You gotta watch Stevie. He did great, but I mean, what else is new?

The show sucked in my opinion. I don't really know why though. Too long, not really engaging, predictable... maybe it's the fact that I didn't even want to watch it in the beginning. But hey.

XOXO

For more Pictures, Video, and a Complete List of Winners, click here

No comments: