Thursday, May 19, 2011

Beyonce's Back.



Beyonce hits the scene again with her new single "Run The World (Girls)", from her upcoming Album '4'. Beyonce has stated that 4 has always been a lucky number for her, being the day of her wedding (April 4, 2008, the day of her husbands birthday (Sean "Jay-Z" Carter, December 4, 1969), the day of her mother's birthday (Tina Knowles, January 4, 1954) , her own birthday, (September 4, 1981) and of course, the number of albums she will have had under her belt.



MY OPINION.
Beyonce is known her having her first single off any given album as being an anthem for women (Crazy in Love, Deja Vu, Single Ladies) with big band music and catchy choreography, and the new single 'Girls' falls right into line. Now I have to admit that even though I do love Beyonce, I did feel as if the song had to grow on me. I later realized it was because the song was not very radio friendly, and I'm not sure it was a good choice as her FIRST single. BUT, I do realize Beyonce wants to come back into the scene with a bang, which is what she very well did.

Usually when I don't like a song, after seeing the video it makes the song grow on me a little bit faster. I've stated that THIS video, puts you in exact mind of the song. If you love the song, you will probably love the video. If your indifferent about the song, you will probably be indifferent about the video. I don't feel like the video sways any opinion about the song, which can also be a good thing (if you love the song already, that is).

The video falls directly into the category of Beyonce. Meaning that it has no genre or style of anyone else, a category of her own. The choreography was Beyonce, the fashion was Beyonce, and so was the direction of the video. The fashion was also very couture, which I loved because it had a certain creepy edge without going so far as to actually SCARE viewers like other artists. I noticed that Beyonce has lost some weight in this video; I feel this may be because Beyonce is in a point in her career where being curvaceous won't be beneficial :( which is sad because I loved the curves.

ALL IN ALL: Beyonce doesn't disappoint, yet I'm not sure if she necessarily WOWs. It was like an upgraded version of the Beyonce genre, without stepping too far out the box. However, the Beyonce genre itself is something amazing.

3 OUT OF 4 REDDLIPS.

1 comment:

Epiphanies808s said...

LMAO you took a shot at Lady Gaga "it had a certain creepy edge without going so far as to actually SCARE viewers like other artists." anyway I think the video is typical Beyonce but it doesn't have any substance as far as "girls running the world" a series of more empowering images of how woman actually run the world would have been a nice change of pace opposed to the desert dancing, i feel like the hook is just a phrase but you don't really feel it. but I still like the video I'm just waiting to hear the ballets! Those NEVER fail me :D